Old Edwardian Lodge of Stourbridge No. 6141

History of the School and Lodge

The consecration meeting of the Old Edwardian Lodge took place on 10th November 1945 in the Assembly Hall of King Edward VI Grammar School, Stourbridge. 

The Lodge Banner was given and presented to the Lodge by Brother H.D.L. Perks, Senior Deacon, and was unveiled by the Provincial Grand Master and dedicated by the Provincial Grand Chaplain. Founder’s jewels were also presented, as were consecrating jewels to the appropriate officers. Also at this meeting, the first initiate to the Lodge, Mr T.W. Watson, Headmaster of the school, was received, having been proposed at the consecration meeting.


The original oration (excerpt below) was given by the Provincial Grand Chaplain, Brother The Venerable Canon A.P. Shepherd, D.D.

“Not many months ago, I had the privilege of taking part in this building in the consecration of another Lodge, St. Kenelm.

But today there is an especial connection between the ceremony and the building, in the consecration of the Old Edwardian Lodge of Stourbridge No. 6141 for past Scholars of the King Edward VI Grammar School.

On the wall at the back of the stage in this hall will be found a bronze tablet with these words - "Near this spot stood the altar of the Chapel of the Holy Trinity founded by Phillip and Joan Hareby in 1430."

In the public records you will also find the following: "1430 - A stipendiary Priest kept a School in a market town called Stourbridge being within the Parish of Old Swinford and a mile distant from the Parish Church and stood charges to teach the poor children of the same Parish freely."

On June 17th, 1552, King Edward VI granted a Charter to the School, "To endure for all future time in the education, training, instruction and teaching of boys and youths."  That century was a great age for founding Schools. The reformation laid great insistence on the importance of morality in religion and accordingly of the teaching of the young, and they formed the basis of morals in religion. In the late 14th and this 20th century men began to think that morals were independent of religion and the importance of religious teaching was discounted. Today, we have the situation that Christian moral standards, and even those accepted by non - Christian peoples, are being challenged and disregarded and we see in the new Education Act an attempt to provide again a religious foundation for a moral life.

It is a fitting thing to have an Old Edwardian Masonic Lodge, for Freemasonry professes to take morality very seriously. In this we must be on our guard, for we are all children of our age, and we must preserve consciously the deep connection between Freemasonry and Morality.”

The 21st meeting of the Lodge on 6th February 1951 was marked as a special occasion by a visit of the Master and Wardens of Old Dudleian Lodge, who were invited to close the meeting in due form. This took place notwithstanding the fact that English Freemasonry was in mourning for the death of the M.W. The Grand Master, the Duke of Devonshire.

On 6th October 1964 a petition was presented on behalf of the Founders sponsoring the proposed Sebright Lodge of Old Wolvernians, No. 8007, now our daughter Lodge which was consecrated on 5th January 1965.

On 12th September 1984 at the conclusion of a meeting of the Lodge Committee, this committee reconvened in an extraordinary session for the purpose of debating a special resolution. For the purpose of this session the W.M. invited W. Bro. J.J.L. Brookes, the senior surviving founder of the Lodge, to take the chair. The special resolution was worded as follows:

"Whilst the explanatory preamble to the Lodge Bye-Laws stipulates that candidates for initiation, or joining members, shall he primarily old pupils of King Edward VI Grammar Schools, or masters or governors past or present of such schools, the Lodge shall, as from this date, welcome any candidate deemed suitable and acceptable, whether coming within those categories or not."

In the ensuing discussion opinions were divided but when the motion was put, voting proved to be 13 in favour, 2 against and 1 abstention. Subsequent to this resolution open ended recruitment became the policy. Curiously though, after a period marked by a dearth of candidates, a flow of candidates did emerge who proved to be Old Edwardians of Stourbridge.

At the conclusion of the regular Lodge meeting held on 7th November 1995, which was the 50th Anniversary meeting of the formation of the Lodge, members were invited by the Headmaster and the School Governors, to a tour of the school followed by dinner.

During its sixty-five years of life the Lodge has acquired and maintained a reputation for very high standards of work, and has contributed a considerable quota of Acting Provincial Grand Officers and a goodly number of officers of the Grand Lodge of England.

We have every confidence that the Old Edwardian Lodge of Stourbridge will continue to thrive through the 21st century.

A more comprehensive version of this history can be downloaded here.